Joel is a consulting actuary and a principal with Milliman — a firm he has been with since 1987.
Joel’s property and casualty insurance experience includes loss reserving, premium reserving, valuation studies, funding studies for captives and self-insureds, rate filing reviews for regulatory authorities, and expert testimony. Joel also has considerable expertise in the areas of investments and taxes from prior work experience.
Joel specializes in alternative market issues. He has assisted with the formation and/or ongoing actuarial needs of many self-insurers, captive insurers, and risk retention groups. He reviews captive and risk retention group applications for the Vermont Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities, and Healthcare Administration. He is a frequent speaker on the topics of captives, risk retention groups, and alternative risk financing.
In addition to the alternative market, clients have included traditional property and casualty insurers, reinsurers, insurance departments, attorneys general, trade associations, municipal bond insurers, underground storage tank insurers, Lloyd’s of London, and syndicates on the New York Insurance Exchange.
- B.A., Mathematics, Dartmouth College
- Professional Designations
- Fellow, Casualty Actuarial Society
- Member, American Academy of Actuaries
- Member, Vermont Captive Insurance Advisory Committee
- Member, Massachusetts Society of CPA Insurance Committee
- Board Member, Captive Insurance Council of the District of Columbia
- Former Board Member, National Risk Retention Association
- Past Chair of the Casualty Actuarial Society Joint Program Committee for the CIA/CAS Appointed Actuary Seminar