An insurance professional with extensive experience in traditional and alternative markets and insurance regulation. Skilled in sales, marketing, business development, and management at branch, regional, and corporate levels. Designed, developed, and marketed various captive programs in Bermuda, Cayman, and Vermont. Substantial experience in financial regulation and solvency surveillance of captive insurance companies in South Carolina.
Somers Risk Consulting, LLC, March 2019 to present. Director, Captive Consulting Services.
Works with clients to design, develop, implement, and manage effective captive programs that build value and offer long-term stability in numerous onshore and offshore domiciles.
Independent, Non-Executive Director, March 2019 to present.
Provides advice and counsel based on years of experience and training in the captive, alternative market, and insurance industry. Focuses on providing a financially independent voice to assist in execution of business goals, regulatory compliance, and financial stability.
South Carolina Department of Insurance
Captive Program Administrator, Captive Insurance Division.
Responsible for licensing new captive companies and marketing South Carolina as a captive domicile. Duties include review and investigation of captive applications and recommendation for licensure. Reviews financial statements and proformas, business plans, actuarial studies, and other associated documents. Assists financial regulation and solvency associates with business plan changes and financial issues or concerns.
Liberty Mutual Alternative Markets
Sr. Account Executive
Responsible for marketing and selling captive programs through a nationwide network of insurance agents and brokers. Developed strong relationships with producers and client companies which aided in new business development and client retention.
Prior position with Liberty had responsibility for new product development of captive arrangements, promotion of Liberty as a captive manager, and internal consulting assignments related to captive insurance opportunities.
Vice President, Marketing, Captives and Alternative Market Vehicles
Designed, developed, and marketed new agency captive programs using group and cell company structures based in Bermuda. Developed extensive network of agents and brokers for writing new business. Designed and developed marketing materials. Interfaced with legal, actuarial, accounting, and business finance professionals on-shore and off-shore. Traveled extensively to market the programs.
Education and Designations
- MBA Grantham University, Lenexa, KS. August 2014. Graduated summa cum laude.
- B.A. Humanities. Emory University, Atlanta, GA. June 1972. Emphasis in math, science, and liberal arts.
- Associate Professional in Insurance Regulation (APIR). National Association of Insurance Commissioners. November 2010.
- Associate in Underwriting (AU). The American Institute for Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriters. 1997.
- Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI). The American Institute for Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriters. 1989.
- Licensed producer for life, accident & health, property, and casualty. State of Illinois. 1983 to 2007.
- Guest lecturer at the Charlotte School of Law, Charlotte, NC; the International Center for Captive Insurance Education, Burlington, VT; and various webinars for captive management firms.
- Frequent speaker and panelist at captive insurance conferences including World Captive Forum, National Risk Retention Association, Southern Risk & Insurance Association, Captive Insurance Companies Association, and the South Carolina Captive Insurance Association.
- Member of the regulatory advisory panel drafting the Best Practices Guidelines, Volumes 1 and 2 for the Captive Insurance Companies Association.
- Member, Palmetto Chapter, Risk and Insurance Management Society
- Authored numerous articles for print and electronic media such as CaptiveReview, Risk Management Magazine, Captive Insurance Times, and US Captive.
- Participant on numerous task forces and working groups of the NAIC and observer and reviewer on the Guidance Paper on the Regulation and Supervision of Captive Insurers for the International Association of Insurance Supervisors.